Citizens Handbook

Welcome to Drayton, North Dakota!

We’re glad you’ve chosen Drayton as your new hometown! If you have any questions, please contact the city office and we’d be glad to help!

Below is some information about living in Drayton.

City Council

The City Council meets on the first Monday of each month, unless that Monday is a holiday.

Building Permits

A building permit is required whenever repairs or improvements exceeding $500 in value are made to a building or structure. A building permit application can be filled out at the city office. Current fee for a building permit is $5.


Payment for the monthly city utility bill is due by the 20th of the month. If payment is 30 days past due, a Shutoff Notice will be mailed. If water service is discontinued for non-payment, all past due amounts must be paid plus a $50 reconnect fee before water service will be reconnected.

Sump pump discharge hoses must empty to the street or yard and not into the building’s sanitary sewer system.


All dogs kept within city limits must be licensed if more than one month of age. Proof that rabies vaccination is up-to-date must be presented to obtain a dog license. Dog licenses are available at the city office.

Dogs are not allowed to:

  • Run at large
  • Bite or otherwise harm, frighten, or chase any person or vehicle within the city
  • Bark or make noises which are annoying to neighbors

Four violations within a 12-month period carries a $250 fine plus dog must be removed from the city. Ask for a copy of the ordinance for more information.

Upkeep of Property

The City’s junk ordinance prohibits:

  • The unsheltered storage of automobiles, equipment or personal property not in good, safe operating condition
  • The accumulation of trash or debris

The City prohibits noxious weeds and tall grasses. Please keep grass mowed.


There is a curfew in Drayton for those under the age of 18.
11:00 p.m. on Sunday night through Thursday night
12:30 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday morning


Snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles may only be operated within city limits for the purposes of leaving or entering the city by the designated route or the shortest route. Speed limit for snowmobiles and all terrain vehicles is 10 miles per hour. A driver’s license is required to operate a snowmobile or all terrain vehicle.

Golf carts may be driven at no more than 10 miles per hour within city limits be tween dawn and dusk by licensed drivers. Golf carts can be driven between dusk and dawn with operating lights.

Parking limit for public streets is 72 consecutive hours for vehicles and 12 consecutive hours for semi-trailers or truck tractors.
It is unlawful to operate any motor vehicle on the dike system.


Residential garbage must be placed in specially marked blue or yellow bags or it won’t be picked up! Place the bags on the berm by 8:00 a.m. Monday mornings. The bags can be purchased at several local stores – ask a salesperson for help in finding them.

A bundle of ten (10) specially marked blue bags (larger bags) costs $20 plus sales tax. A bundle of ten (10) yellow bags (small bags costs $10 plus sales tax.
The idea behind the expensive bags is to encourage recycling. The more you voluntarily recycle, the fewer of those expensive bags you’ll have to use. Most households that recycle can get by with one blue or one yellow bag per week, depending on the size of the household. On the back of this page is a guide to recycling.


Curb-side mixed recycling is here!  Pick-up is every other Thursday.  If you do not have a recycling receptacle, please contact the city office (below).  A large recycling bin is also located on Almeron Avenue, just east of the railroad tracks.

Also note that the garbage truck will not pick up branches, grass clippings, or leaves.  You will be responsible for bringing those items to the city compost site, located about a mile south of Drayton on the east side of the highway.

If you have questions regarding garbage service, recycling, or composting, please call the City Office at 701-454-3590.

What to Recycle

Aluminum Cans
Tin Cans
Mixed Plastic Containers (#1-7)
Glass Bottles & Jars (any color)
Cardboard — PLEASE flatten!
Office Paper
Junk Mail
Paperboard (cereal, cake mix boxes, etc)

What Not to Recycle

Plastic Bags
Window Glass
Light Bulbs
Aerosol Cans
Oil Containers
PVC Pipe
Hard Plastics (toys)